Possible Signs of Infection
Sometimes, despite our best efforts or even the best efforts of trained health care workers, minor abrasions, cuts and scrapes still become infected.
Seek medical help if you see any of the following signs and symptoms¹:
- Fever with or without chills
- Heat at the site of the injury
- Redness and swelling, especially after the cut has seemed to be healing
- Pus or bad smells from the site
- Pain or soreness at the site
A medical professional should oversee treatment for any infected wound. It can be difficult to avoid cuts and scrapes, especially with children. However, try to keep your children’s play area free of objects that could cause dangerous lacerations or puncture wounds, and seek treatment for any wounds they receive as soon as possible.
¹ Updated by: Joshua Kunin a. Surgical wound infection – treatment: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. Nlmnihgov. 2016. Available at: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007645.htm.