What Is Heat Rash?
Heat rash is a series of small red splotches which gather in areas where sweat collects in the heat, generally around the armpits, groin, elbows, and knees. Heat rash may cause mild swelling and some itching accompanied by a prickling sensation.
Heat rash occurs when the skin’s sweat glands are blocked and the sweat produced cannot get to the surface of the skin to evaporate. This causes sweat to become trapped beneath the skin’s surface causing a mild inflammation or rash.
How to Prevent Heat Rash
- Avoid circumstances that can lead to sweating excessively.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during humid weather.
- During hot weather, use air conditioning and fans.
- Wear lightweight, loose fitting clothes- moisture wicking fabric will help prevent sweat building up on skin.
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep the body hydrated.
- Use soaps or body wash that don’t dry your skin.
How to Relieve Heat Rash
Heat rash usually lasts 1 to 3 days. While heat rash usually resolves on its own once the skin cools, mundicare® Skin Relief Powder can be applied on the skin to reduce the discomfort of heat rash.